Friday, August 1, 2014
Thank You Cookies.
I'm wearing my intern t-shirt today because it's the last day of my internship!!! The day we've all been waiting for.
I decided to be extra nice and pick up a card and cookies for the entire unit. It's only like 5 of us in total but you know. A nigga's gotta crush.
As mundane as this internship was, it was a great experience. I definitely met some great people. I had fun sometimes. And I get to say I had an internship at f***ing NASA!
The day is already a great day because it's a bit gloomy and cloudy outside so the weather is around 70 degrees and if you remember what I've said before, that is my perfect weather.
My mom dropped me off at my internship so I got here a bit later and I got to waste a bit more of my time.
There's this girl I've been speaking to that rides my bus and she's sweet as a button and cool as a cucumber but my antisocial non-sleeping self doesn't really like to hold conversations especially in the morning. So it's been a struggle trying to not make things awkward. So I got to avoid that struggle today and forever.
So symposium yesterday wasn't that bad at all. Like AT ALL. I got there around 12:20 because I went with my plan and started walking to the building after 12 pm and you bet I took my time. I passed by my poster briefly to see that there were two guys standing around there. I quickly placed my bag and water down so that I could hang in a Missing Badge Form to some guy in some office because I lost my badge for this entire week and I had to file one of those. That wasted a few more minutes. By the time I came back to my poster, there was a lady there asking questions to the intern in front of me.
Then, she quickly turned to me and said, "Your poster was the reason why I came over here but since you weren't there I decided to talk to the other guy." Something along those lines. So I was all ruffled up and stuff. Then, she asked me to explain my poster which I did and it happened to be not as nerve-wracking as I thought. I guess all that poster presenting I had to do senior year really paid off.
So she started asking me more questions about what I wanted to do and stuff. We had a good conversation and it ended with her giving me her e-mail so that I can contact her about an internship opportunity for next summer. Let's just say that I won big time.
She was the first and last actual mentor person that I presented to. I also presented to one of my mentors (but that was later on during the day). The other person I presented to was the guy with with the poster across from me . He began talking to me and wanted me to present my poster. Which I did. And he presented his to me. And then we had a conversation and I found out he was a rising senior in high school and yadda yadda. He kept me good company for the few minutes I was actually standing near my poster.
It's funny. I probably talked to more guys than girls during this entire internship experience. Probably because I refuse to talk to anyone and the guys are the one's that strike up conversation with me the most. The guy in front of me was probably the fourth guy who tried to strike up a conversation with me at NASA so that would include my UPenn guy, the USC guy, the computer software guy (who I haven't talked about), and now poster neighbor guy.
For the remainder of the time, I went around with this girl that I made friends with on the first day. And I met the people she worked with (who happened to be guys) and I was talking to them.
Eventually, we had to take intern photos with all the high school interns. Apparently, we were supposed to bring our t-shirts that day but I was not informed so I hadn't brought mines but several other people didn't so it was all good.
2 pm had struck by then and I immediately took my poster down, rolled it up, and headed out of the building. Some people said some things as I was heading out like, "I thought it wasn't supposed to be taken down until 4 pm" but f*** the police.
Actually, I had a few hindrances as I was trying to escape. For one, my mentor stopped me so that she could take a picture with me with my poster. Then, when I took it down, a guy came up to me saying that I supposed to keep the poster up until 4 pm. THEN, as I was about to f*** it and leave anyway, a guy came up wanting to take a picture of me and my mentor with my poster.
After all that sh*t, I finally escaped. But it was all good. It actually was.
For the remainder of my time, I think I'll be e-mailing people and playing Kim Kardashian and reading articles on Cracked. I'll probably also start this drug online program thing that Temple is apparently making us do. I haven't actually opened my e-mail to see it yet but I heard about it from people on the Temple Facebook group page and it seems like it's an hour long thing. So that'll be great to do as I waste my last few hours here at NASA.
Labels:
last day,
making friends,
NASA internship,
networking,
symposium,
temple university,
wasting time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment