I don't know if I told you guys, but I've been reading The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger. I heard about the book on gURL.com and SparkNotes. And from what I heard, it seemed pretty interesting. And my English teacher wanted us to read a book over the spring break. So that's what I picked up from the library.
Let me start out and say that the book is pretty good. I haven't finished it yet but I will soon. And it's really interesting. I'm not gonna go into details but I was sure this book was gonna be straight up boring before I read it. First of all, what the heck is a catcher in the rye. I haven't read anything about a catcher in the rye in the story. I'm still waiting to find out. The cover of the book has a horse on it and a sketch of what looks like New York City, in the background. The New York City thing makes sense since that's where a lot of the book is set out. I don't understand what the horse is for. Second of all, the book is pretty... I don't know how to put this. It's a very real book. It's about a teenage dude and the author doesn't leave anything out.
The problem is, I just remembered that my teacher wanted us to read a book over the spring break and mentioned that it shouldn't be too inappropriate. The thing was, I wasn't actually planning on reading The Catcher In The Rye but I lost the other book I was reading. It's somewhere in this house, I just don't know where. And so I don't know what to do now. School's tomorrow and I just hope she accepts it. I mean, it's a classic book. That should count for something.
I also like the book because it's very modern. Or at least, the themes are very modern. I like to look in the very front of the book to see when a book was published because it gives me an idea of the perspective. Well, apparently the book was made in the 1950s. And you can tell when you read the book. The guy uses outdated slang like phony, and boy, and flits. But he uses some slang that we use today that I didn't know people said back then. I like how the people he describes back then are no different than the people we have now. Even with all the technology we have now, there are still a bunch of issues that teenagers suffered through back then that we still do now.
The guy has a very bad mouth though. He's always cursing and the guys in the book say a lot of perverted things. If you think about it, the dudes in that book would be about 80 years old today. I can't imagine the 80 year olds from now saying that kind of stuff or ever saying that kind of stuff. But now that I think about it, I guess it's all about maturity. Once you get older, you learn what to say and not to say.
I rambled way too much about the book. But if you haven't read it, please check it out. Over the summer, I think I'm just gonna make a mission to read all the books in the classic side of the library. I have a whole bunch of summer plans so I don't know what's gonna work out. But I'll see. But that would be cool though. Expand my vocabulary and what not.
The other thing I wanna talk about is ADVENTURE TIME! Oh man, I freakin' love that show.
I always used to see it on TV because of my brothers. But I never bothered to sit down and watch a whole episode. But since I've been on spring break and stuff, I've had time to do a whole bunch of stuff. So I decided to watch it the other day and I loved it. It's funny because it's different. I can't explain the humor in that show. But it's like a show made for teens, disguised in a "kids show".
Like today, I was watching the episode Fionna and Cake. Fionna (who's basically the female version of Finn) goes on a date with this Prince guy and the Prince invites her to the ball. The Prince invites her in and takes her upstairs to his room. The screen cuts to the Prince's bed and next thing you know, he's unbuttoning his top. Then the Ice Queen appears and yeah...
My brothers and sister didn't even catch it.
It's like watching a show you watched when you were younger and catching all the sexual innuendos you didn't understand before.
But the show is freakin' awesome. I love it. And I will obsess over it in the privacy of my home.
If I told my friends that I liked the show, they would think I'm crazy. They were the same ones hating on the new Cartoon Network shows, saying that it wasn't even good for kids anymore. And it was stupid. And they missed Toonami and blah blah blah.
So they will never know my obsession.
The last thing I'll tell you guys is that I'm still writing. In fact, today, I spent some hours just writing. I'm still working on I Am Mad. I've been working on it for like a year. But I ended up revising everything. And I'll post the old story here one of these days. I deleted some of the old story before I came up with the idea of posting it here. But it's whatever.
That's enough rambling. But I think I'm justified since school is starting tomorrow and I'll probably not post as much anymore.


No comments:
Post a Comment