Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bring On The Night

This is a few days late but that's okay.

Friday was really nice. Even though I purposely hung out with friends to go to Coffeehouse (a student-produced music show), the highlight of my day was just going out and about doing stupid stuff.

Contrary to popular belief, there's no coffee actually involved in Coffeehouse.
Admittedly, my day didn't start out so great. My phone was dying so rushed home to get my charger and some food before I went to my internship. When I got there, there was a lab meeting going on, there were no seats, so I had to sit on the ground next to the door. In an e-mail, my mentor said she would have cookies and she did have cookies alright. But because I came so late and because I didn't wanna seem greedy, I didn't get any.

I lolligagged on the computer and I was about to charge my phone when I realized I brought the WRONG CHARGER. My phone was basically dead and if I left to go get it, I would have no time to charge it anyway. I left my internship 30 minutes early so that I could go home and pack in order to catch another shuttle to meet up with my friends for Coffeehouse. But before that, I met a man that used to work as an administrator at my middle school. He was participating in a study right next door to us and he recognized me.

He was very VERY friendly and he talked to me for like 40 minutes probably about life and school and stuff. And he told me that he grew up in Philly and he asked me where I wanted to go to school and I told him that I was most likely heading off to Temple and he laughed and shuttered happily.

It was pretty coincidental and I think this was the icing on the cupcake or whatever. I'm definitely destined to go to Temple.

There's this red pin that someone pinned next to our bed and I keep looking back at it, thinking it's a bug or something.

Anyway, I caught the shuttle and my favorite shuttle bus driver was there. God. He is so dreamy. I was half way there when I realized that I forgot my ticket. The ticket that I had my friend pay $3 for. I was pissed and I was planning how I was going to go back home and get back to school in time with my ticket.

I ended up just buying another ticket, btw.

Because my phone was dead, I couldn't text or call them to find out where they were. I expected them to be outside at the stairs but when I didn't see them there, I decided to go into the school and charge my phone so that I could get in contact with them. Of course, everyone had taken up all the outlets in the lobby and I had to keep walking down the hallway looking for them.

As fate would have it, my friends were sitting at the end of the hallway, watching the B-Boys practice. Lucky me.

We were going to catch a ride with a friend but there was seven of us and only five seats in the car so four of us decided to just walk down to Wendy's. I made a fool of myself when we were going out to the car though. My friend, who usually drove a green car, was driving a tan car and me being blind, overlooked the car that was obviously filled. And I looked stupid. That's all.

We walked to Wendy's and my friend was complaining to me how everyone wanted to go to Subway and had all put down her request to go to Wendy's (because it was cheaper) and now all of a sudden, everyone wanted to go to Wendy's. I thought that was interesting and I told her that she should just forget about what other people think and just do her own thing. The thing is, if I had said I wanted to go to Wendy's, people would've just accepted what I said. I don't know why it's such the opposite with her... Maybe because they don't take her seriously? I don't know.

Anyway, I was on a high. Possibly because I was tired, with friends, and the weather was the perfect weather for me. It was sixty degrees out side: breezy enough to wear a sweater, but warm enough to still feel good. I felt like how you would expect a carefree teenager to feel like.

We got back to school early enough to get good seats and we were able to fit all our friends in one area. We definitely learned our lesson from last year's Coffeehouse.

However, this year's Coffeehouse was definitely not as good as last year's.

The sound system sucked. The microphones didn't pick pick up sound well and the instruments were too pronounced. I don't know. And there were too many acoustic guitars. Everyone kept doing an acoustic-guitar-edition of a popular song and first of all, I already don't like most popular songs and then, except for a few exceptions, I don't like songs that are solely voice and acoustic guitar.

Some were able to pull it off well and some just fell flat to me and it just got boring. Last year, I feel like the music selections were definitely more diverse and fun.

When the vocals got too hard to hear, I decided to listen to instrumentals and some were really good. There were definitely a few good drummers and guitarists out there. I realized that it's always the small, unsuspecting, quiet little girl that's ridiculously good at playing guitar.

But then again, there were some horrible ones. And I can't tell if they were horrible because everyone was horrible, or if they were horrible by themselves. I don't know. There was this one band that was really bad and I want to say that it due to the technical difficulties.

They were a bunch of sophomore guys with flippy hair. I always see these guys when I pass this weird (painfully obvious underclassmen) hallway. One of the guys was this tall, admittedly hot, Justin-Bieber-like white kid who was playing the piano. Another was this guy with almost shoulder-length brown hair who has this slightly skater vibe going on. Whenever I see him, he's kissing face with some girl. I recognize him as the guy my friend and I used to stalk outside of my Spanish class until he cut his hair. But he grew it out again, started wearing good clothes, and became cute again. There were other guys in the group but I won't go much into detail with theme.

But basically, the guys were those popular, cute, douche-y types and it made me happy seeing these guys totally fail in front of me.

It might've been good in different circumstances, but at that moment, it was not.

Last year, there was a screamo band but since the people in that graduated, this year's equivalent was a band of kids I knew because they were friends of my friends. They sang "Smells Like Teen's Spirit" which I thought was such a basic song choice but I liked it anyway and even though the microphone sucked, I enjoyed it because it was the only "rock" song and it was pretty theatrical. They made the stage dark and had colorful smoke filling up the stage and the singer had this sexy black guitar. It was nice.

I still wish there had been a screamo band.

After that really upbeat song, someone came out and started singing some stupid flowery song on the acoustic guitar again and I wanted to slap someone.

Oh. And there were no prom proposals this year. Last year, there were SO many that people got annoyed. But this year, there were absolutely none. And I can't lie. I was expecting them and when I didn't get any, I was disappointed. I think they're cute, no matter how much of a bitter teenage hag I am.

In the end, I had fun. I just have issues with my friend who likes to talk and make comments whenever we go anywhere that doesn't require talking and making comments.

I'm actually a lover of the arts and I'm a respectful person. If someone is performing, I actually like to listen (no matter how bad it is). I just find it rude to talk and laugh loudly while someone is showing off their art. I don't wanna be mean and tell her to "Shut the f*** up" so I smile and reply back. But she gets soo loud that you can hear people say stuff in the background and another one of my friends even spoke up about it. Instead of taking heed, she gets angry.

Okay, fine. You wanna talk. People don't wanna hear you talk. You get angry. Fine.

But then, everyone starts getting loud at an appropriate time (like in between the changing of acts), and she gets annoyed that people are talking when she's trying to sleep (because she eventually got bored with the music). Then, she begins complaining to me. I smile and laugh but inside, I'm narrowing me eyes and shaking my head.

Um. Now, you're being a hypocrite. So you can be loud and obnoxious while people are playing music on stage but when people get loud and obnoxious at a correct time but inconvenience YOU, it's a problem?

Come on.

She does the obnoxious thing at the movies and other school events. She does the hypocritical thing with EVERY THING. She scowls at people who may not agree with her or may act inappropriate at times but she does the SAME THING. My friend ,who was sitting to the other side of me, sees her shit but doesn't take it. I'm sure a lot of people do the same. Sometimes, I dislike being the nice friend. I wish I could just speak out about things I don't like. But no, I just have to please everyone.

My other friend, who I'll call J, the other one I'll call Obnoxious, made comments throughout Coffeehouse but she wasn't loud and she wasn't so... obnoxious and frequent.

Another issue I had was the fact that The Guy was in great viewing from where I was sitting. I knew he was gonna be there. I was almost absolutely sure. But I didn't expect to see him. We picked a seat to the far left of the auditorium. I hadn't seen him at all from the time we passed through the school doors to when we sat down. It was randomly in the middle of the song, I decide to turn my head and then I see his profile and that cute hair he has and I'm just completely done.

I told my friend and then, my friends do what they do best and try to embarrass me by calling his name. And of course, he hears and starts looking around and I'm beyond done. It was funny though.

I just hated the fact that I couldn't just focus on the music anymore. I kept looking back there to get a glance at him. I kept straining to see who he was next to. If his girlfriend was there. If he knew I was here. It was just so distracting. I couldn't understand my luck.

There were plenty more awkward moments that day. Like the fact that I accidentally waved at someone who was sitting in a car parked at CVS while I was pointing out someone's car that looked like my mom's. I raised my hand and I probably looked like I was looking at the window of this said car and next thing I knew, a figure had raised their hand and waved back.

I started laughing. But it was awkward and because of my bad eyesight, I didn't even know who it was. Like if it was someone I knew or if it was someone my age or what. But whateverr.

I also think I awkwardly stared down this kid. I was walking down a hallway with my friends and I saw him at the end of the hallway and he turned around and looked in my direction and I suspected that it was someone I knew, so I just stared and squinted until I could see. But if his eyesight was better than mines, it probably looked like I was juts staring at him like a crazy woman. Mehh. It happened. The guy was a cutie too. Can't lie, can't deny.

I did the stare down thing to another guy. I was walking with a friend because we were heading to leave to Wendy's and he turned towards us and was looking at us. So I just stared. Because I'm so blind, I assume people are just as blind as me and can't see as far as I can. So to me, I was looking at some blurry figure with cute curly hair while he probably saw a greasy pudgy girl just staring straight at him.

He was a cutie too. I know him as the douche my junior friend liked last year who would be flirty with her blind closed doors, but act cold when he was actually around other people. He was one of those skater kids and even though he is a year younger than me, he is still adorable.

I have to admit, after Coffeehouse, I definitely saw a bunch of really REALLY adorable and cute and maybe even hot underclassmen. The girls who are sticking around are lucky.

There are only two senior guys that have ever really caught my eye, maybe even just one and they're both taken. Well, one is taken. And another just promposed to a girl who wasn't me earlier this week so... That's my life.

Anyway, I had fun on Friday. That's ultimately where I'm getting to. One of my favorite parts of hanging out with my friends like these is the night time. After the fun has ended, I love standing outside in the darkness and just chilling with the people I love until it's time to leave. If I was independent, I would definitely have more nights like that where I just stay out in the darkness with my friends until I'm good and ready to leave.

We would eat pancakes at IHOP and walk in the streets. We would sit in the grass under the streetlight and talk about stupid things. Then we'd sleep in the grass and wake up in the morning all muddy from the night before and laugh and I think that would be fantastic.

Ha. My parents would definitely not have that.

Bring on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment