Saturday, December 15, 2012

He Out-Heroded Herod.

Having so many intense thoughts in my head seriously has an emotional toll on me.

It's my turn to put my two cents in about that Connecticut shooting. I don't really think I even have one cent to put in. Everyone has pointed out everything that had to be said. Everything had been pointed out long before this stupid massacre. Even before the Batman shooting. Before Virginia Tech. Before that. We're just saying the same things over and over again. And there's no point in me saying them as well.

But we'll see how this goes.

I first found out about the shooting from my brother when I came home. He said, "Did you hear about the shooting at a middle school?" I said, "No. What happened? Turn on the news." My brother whined saying he already had the news on. Obviously, he didn't actually listen to it since he assumed that the shooting was at a middle school.

But then, I also heard that there was a lot of misinformation going about on the news channels. But I doubt that was the factor since it was after 3 PM when my brother told me, and I'm sure they would've had there facts somewhat correct by that time, considering it happened at 9 AM.

Anyway, I really didn't think of it much more. I was shocked when my brother told me. Still believing that the incident was at a middle school, I figured it was probably at some ghetto school and a gang member killed another gang member. Or at least, I figured that just one or two students died. I was tired so I went to take a nap, not thinking much more if it because I've heard it all ready.

I wake up from the nap hours later and on my phone, I have a message from my friend asking if I had seen the news. That's when I knew it was serious. I went upstairs calling my mom, asking if she's seen the news yet. She hadn't. And thinking back at it now, it's so weird how no one really knew about it, not my mom, not anyone at school. It was about 7:30 PM in the evening when we officially found out and if it was not for my friend, I wouldn't have even checked the news.

I find out that some monster came up to an elementary school and shot 20 kids and six adults. And I just couldn't help but feel emotional. 20 children?! That's an entire class of babies! And when I thought too much about it, I felt like crying. I haven't cried yet. I don't want to. I don't want to shed one tear because of that man.

I don't care why that man did. I honestly don't. It doesn't even matter why. Because no matter what his reason was, it could never be justified.

You know what photo affected me the most? That one of the teacher leading the crying children out of the building. They have their hands on each other's shoulders. It reminded me of being in Kindergarten, when our teacher would have us put our hands on each other's shoulders as we were led back to the school building from recess. That and their crying faces was a reminder of how young and innocent that children were. Ugh.


It's "funny" because my friends and I were in the lunch line talking about school shootings. My "friend" was wearing the ID of someone else's because that was the only way she could get into the lunch room without getting in trouble. My friend commented how anybody could just get into the school with a fake ID and the security people don't even check. I said, "This is how people get shot." Half jokingly, of course, though a slight wave of terror kind of overcame me when I realized how true the statement I just made was. But the feeling soon disappeared as superficial thoughts of my crush and Christmas candy grams overcame me.

He "out-heroded Herod". The perfect statement. It's a quote from the story "The Masque of the Red Death" by Edgar Allan Poe, a story that we had just finished in Engish class that Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment