Saturday, July 21, 2012

Banned From The Glass Elevators.


So today was my last program trip to downtown so I feel just a bit down. Just a little bit.

We went to the Newseum and the museum is very nice. I feel like such a nerd when the other girls in my group are like, "Why would anyone come here on purpose?" BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME???

I think it's because the girls live in D.C. and have been to trips to the museums multiple times so it's nothing new for them. Which I have established already.

So at the Newseum, there are a set of glass elevators that take you from the first floor, straight to the 6th floor and vice versa. They don't stop on any other floors. We went there twice. On the second time, we went up to the 6th floor and stayed in there while the elevators went down. Which I think was not allowed.

But on the way down, the girls I was hanging with started dancing and making noises. And while the elevators went down, I ignored them and waved at the random passerbys because I do things like that. One of the guys we waved at saw us and waved enthusiastically back at us. And us immature teenage girls started screaming and laughing. When we got down, we wanted to go back again and the lady was like, "Heck no." Well she didn't say that but the same gist.

So we decided to take the regular side elevators up to the 6th floor and ride down. I'm guessing the security lady downstairs told the guy upstairs to watch out for a group of crazy girls because once we got a few feet to the glass elevators, the guy went up to us and was like, "Nope. You can't go on the glass elevators." We lied and said we were just looking at the exhibit next to it. Ugh, jumping to conclusions...

We went boy-watching as usual but we didn't actually do anything. The problem is that most of the boys that come to the museum are with their parents so we can't actually do anything because you know, that would be wrong.

I saw a piece of the Berlin Wall and I was fan-girling on the inside. Though I'm not in love with Tokio Hotel anymore, I still love Germany.

I went to my first 4-D movie and honestly, it wasn't that exciting. Or maybe I got a bad seat. I mean, the movie wasn't that bad but the graphics were meh. My eyes kind of hurt from the glasses and it was probably because I need actual glasses to see. It was about media and time travel and thought they were gonna go from the past, all the way to modern times. I mean, they showed clips of all the major events in the past centuries but they didn't elaborate on it. But it was fine. I just wished the graphics were better. People said they felt "rats" under their seat (in the movie, there happened to be a rat on the journalist's bed and she flicked the rat away and it was supposedly supposed to under our legs). I felt the air but it didn't feel like rats. It just felt like air on my ankles. But my sister said she got scared and the girl next to me was scared. She was freaking out actually.

Yeah...

Wow. Look at me talking about my enjoyments in a museum when 12 people, expecting to have a night of fun at a premiere of a Batman movie, died last night. It was looking cloudy and murky outside so I decided to turn on the news to get an idea of what the weather was gonna be like. I turn on Channel 7 Good Morning America and then the first thing I see is Shooting at Batman, or something along those lines.

Some idiot decided to go into a theater showing The Dark Night Rises with full ammunition on and started to shoot up everyone. Why would someone think to do such a thing? The youngest victim was freakin' 3 months. Who shoots a baby?

That just angers me and scares me. To think, I could be going to the park today and never come back. No one leaves the house to go to the movies thinking, "Oh! A serial killer may show up at the theater today! I probably shouldn't go." It's not like being on a battlefield or walking the streets of a ghetto.

Nobody at my summer program talked about, making me think that either no one heard about it yet or everyone is just avoiding the topic. I brought it up but everyone seemed oblivious. I guess it's kind of understandable because I don't usually watch the news in the morning since I'm always running late. But lately, I have been. Most of the news I get is when I come home, after I sleep, after I work on my mom's school work, and get on the computer and look at the homepage. By that time, it's already 12:00 AM, the start of the next day.

It's funny because just that night, I had a dream or a very visual thought about going to the movies one of these days and seeing the Dark Night. I was planning out probably going on a train to the mall area and after the movie, go shopping and get a cheesecake ice cream or something. Just that night...

People are insane. I know people are insane. But things like this are just constant reminders. This isn't a rude awakening. Though it was sad, I honestly was not that shocked though I may sound like it. I'm not saying it was predictable but honestly, after the Virginia Tech shootings, I think I have slowly become resistant to this kind of stuff. Mass shootings have become a part of our generation with Columbine and Virginia Tech.

There's not only schools and universities we have to watch out for, but we have to even watch out in movie theaters as well. I'm surprised that a fully armed man like that was able to even walk past the doors.

I know I'm guilty of sneaking in food into the movie theaters but that's only because the people don't check. I don't want to sound totally ignorant but yeah... that's the end of that for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment