I started this post on Thursday but I didn't get around to it until today.
So Thursday was the Night of the Arts, this event that my summer program has towards the end of the program. In the beginning, all the girls had to choose a "major" they wanted to do, which was drama, dance, or art that would be presented at the Night of the Arts. It's also when they present awards for the girls with Good Character.
I chose the art major, of course. But it was a BS class. The theme was virtues so everyone had to do a virtue and interpret it into an artwork. I got inspired by this TV display that I saw the National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum. It was a pretty nice museum and I'd definitely go back. But for some reason, I can't find the TV display on Google Images or anything.
It was pretty much a wall of televisions and the images and clips on each of the TVs made up an image in itself. So the clips on the TV all came together to actually be a man with a mustache. And I thought it was pretty cool. There were to exhibits on the same wall. On the other TV, there were the same cool clips and stuff. But smack in the middle was a small TV showing clips of two naked women. My friends and I thought someone hacked into the system and put porn right there. But we later found out it was just part of the exhibit. :P
Back to the art. So the virtue I did was temperance. And I created nine TVs. Three rows, three columns. All stacked onto each other. And in the screens were images of temptations. I used TVs because most temptations exemplified in the media. So yeah... I drew lips and eyes and girls with big boobs and big butts and cigarettes and alcohol. And people who saw it really liked it.
I ended up not even getting to showcase the art anyway. And I also forgot it at the high school where the event was being held which saddens me because it was starting to grow on me.
Everyone I hung out with thought the Night of the Arts was gonna be a complete bust. But it ended up being really good. I wore high wedges and a dress. I was probably over-dressed but it's better than being under-dressed. I handed out the agendas before sitting down. The lighting was really good.
I'm not going to go into everything. But there was a video, a play, a speech, and dances by the girls. And it ended up being really good despite the high school girls looking REALLY champ during rehearsals. We all the thought the outfits were horrendous (the dancers had to wear these plastic looking long dresses that didn't look good, the steppers wore these tight zip-up tops and hot pink cow-boy looking hats) and routines were not that spectacular. But it ended up being not that bad. The dance was especially really nice.
Enough of that and back to me. So at the end, the awards for high schoolers were given. And I was called up for one out of the four girls with Best Character. I got a gift bag with make-up and stuff inside. And as I was going back, I saw an attorney from the law firm calling my name. I was so shocked that this guy would even think to come to an event like this. I shook his hand and I was beaming that someone appreciated what I did so much to even think to come to an event like this. Apparently, the people at the law firm talked some good stuff about me. I still wanted them to pay for my school supplies but it was totally fine.
That was just a very good night for me.
The next day, which was yesterday, we went to the pool for the last day of the program. Honestly, I was afraid. I can't pinpoint what I was afraid of. But I just was. Maybe it was going to a public pool or having to wear a swimsuit or something. I really do not know. And last week, I was sure I was not coming. But I was somehow convinced and I do not regret it AT ALL. I had fun with my new friends. I wasn't even self-conscious. I jumped off a diving board. Realized that I still knew how to swim. And had fun. The only thing I disliked was having to wait 45 minutes to get and eat our food. We lost a lot of time in the pool. I didn't get to see if I could still do the backstroke.
But going to the pool yesterday made me realize how much I used to like swimming. It psyched me up for the Summer Olympics. I caught most of it yesterday. I wish I had never stopped taking lessons because I could be doing swimming in high school right now.
Ugh, I'm suffering from a heat rash right now
So yeah, that's it for now. But as for the title of this post, it seems like it has nothing to do with anything. But it actually does. One thing I learned from this summer program is that sunflower seeds are really annoying to eat. And I can't be bothered with cracking the shell in my mouth, taking the actual nut out, and spitting the rest somewhere. It's too icky for me.
But yogurt pretzels are AMAZING.


No comments:
Post a Comment