I wore a white blouse that my mom and I got from Ross very recently and some black pants that I got from Ross last summer. The black pants are actually maternity pants (Shhh....) but they fit really good. I wore those black wedged ballet flat looking shoes and I was rockin' in my swag with a cross body bag that I also got from Ross. Which was seen in Urban Outfitters for $8 more.
My hair (which is in cornrows) was put back in a side ponytail. I wore brown eyeshadow on my eyes that I won at the summer program for good character. I also wore some coral lip gloss. And some new perfume that I got as a prize for good character.
I decided to really take in the scenery as we went downtown, as I usually do. As you get closer and closer to the lawfirm, the population gets whiter and whiter. I by no means am trying to sound racist. But people usually think DC is full of black people. That it's very ghetto and hood. But it's really not in all places. By the time you get to wear my firm is, 60-70% of the people walking on the streets are white people. A lot of them are tourists staying in the really fancy hotels around the area. A lot of them are business people. It's not a bad thing. I like white people. :D
After dropping my sister off, my dad went to his workplace and then we pulled up on 1100 Connecticut Ave where the Stein, Mitchell, and Muse law firm is. It's a very sleek and sexy building. I walk into the building and down the slight ramp and to the elevators where a guy is waiting there. A woman walks up as the elevator doors open and we all huddle in. I press Floor 11 where the law firm is at.
I turn a right and open a door that goes directly to the copy machine room where my instrutor, Eric, works. We say our Hi's and What's Ups and he lets me log on to the computer next to his, which is actually another guy's computers but he happens to not be there today.
Eric tells me about this "new" artist he's been listening to called Gotye. In my mind I'm thinking, "Dude, you just found out about this guy?". I say that yeah, I've heard about his most famous song, "Somebody That I Used To Know." And Eric is freaking out about him and tells me about another song called "State of the Art". By the way, it ends up being super amazing and it's on my mp3 right now.
While Eric does some chiz, I sit on the computer and look up irrelevant things and end up searching a bunch of bands: Sublime, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Queen, The Clash, and some other music figures. I also drink a Nestea. By this time, I'm feeling pretty bad. I'm really tired and my stomach hurts and my head hurts from reading.
The first work I do that morning is fix up some boxes that the guy interns messed up. Apparently, one of them repeated box numbers while indexing so we had to take account of the ones he repeated, rewrite them under new numbers, and change them on the computer. Then I put them in the Storage which was easy since the guy only writes one line indexes.
I beam because Eric compliments me on the hard work I do and the long indexes I type. Just some days before, Eric talked about it and Erin, a summer associate who sat in the desk to the right of me, was like, "It's all about Almond!" And I was cheesing because yeah, I had a small crush on Erin. Erin's last day was on Thursday and I missed the guy already.
After indexing the boxes and putting them in storage, I wikipedia some more and listen to YouTube videos. I listen to State of the Art and this song called Into The Night by Benny Madones which I had been hearing on the radio a few times recently. And I love them both. :D I listen to Sublime and Pearl Jam and I even go on Tumblr. I was a bit cautious about it because Tumblr is know for naked people showing up at the worst times. And plenty of naked people did show up. But not at the worst times.
While I was on the internet, Gerry Mitchell, one of the attorneys, comes up to thank me about all the work I did for them. He said he really appreciated it and that warmed my heart. He gave me his card and said they would write a letter of recommendation when the time came. It was really thoughtful of him although I kind of wanted the card to be a gift card. I was really hoping the firm would pay for my school supplies or something. It was the least they could do, you know.
I check some indexes for some papers for a case that's going on trial very soon. There was not much work for me today. In fact, I spent most of the time talking with Eric. He's a very interesting person. He was born and raised in Texas and he's a music producer when he's not doing stuff at the law firm. Apparently, he was involved in some bad stuff when he was a teenager but he got himself out of that chiz. He even got arrested once. I just noticed I know quite a lot about him but I'm not gonna share all that.
![]() |
| Because this is how I look like after a nice PB&J. |
For lunch, I eat a measly peanut butter and jelly sandwich and that's it. You know, I peed three times that day so I was skeptical about drinking anything. It's weird because I didn't drink anything except that iced tea and my pee was coming out clear as if I had just drank bottles of water or something. It was embarassing having to go up to the lobby and get the bathroom key THREE TIMES.
Eric goes out to this place that's like Chipotle but not and gets three tacos. He comes back and offers me one and I'm like, why not? Thinking he was only gonna give me a little piece. I end up getting a whole taco with a good amount of chips. And I end up eating one bite of the taco and a few bites of chips because I really do not like eating in front of people. Tacos are the worst things to eat in front of people. And there was a "Sexy Asian" in the room.
![]() |
| Cute as this. But with clothes on. |
But yeah, I ended up covering up the tacos and taking it home to eat in the privacy of my room.
Some more people come up to tell me how much they appreciated my help. And I said thanks. One of the people, her name is Sandy, asked me if the experience influenced what I wanted to do in the future. I said yeah. In my mind I was thinking, "Yeah, it influenced me NOT to work at a law firm." Though I liked the job, reading through those medical records and stuff, made me realize how much I actually did love medicine and learning about diseases and possibly even diagnosing these diseases as well.
I told her and Sandy recommended that I could work as a nurse like Cheryl (the woman I helped with the exhibits). In my mind, I was thinking "Heck no." And I think she read my mind because she then talked about being a doctor that worked with the law firm (the lawfirm specializes in malpractice by the way).
I helped Eric a bit more by organizing some tabs for him. I ended up having to get more tags in the supply closet where I stole a ballpoint pen, a multiple color pen, and a lead pencil. I then went out to the streets of DC and went down to Pinkberry. It was my first time at Pinkberry and I made an absolute fool out of myself but the people where very nice about it.
They helped me pick out a strawberry frozen yogurt with strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, and caramel sauce. It ended up being really good but really expensive at $6.12 for just a small cup. But it was my last day in that area, and I wanted to live it up. As I was walking back to the building, I noticed that there were a lot of well-dressed people, standing in the corners of the building, smoking cigarettes. Note, almost all of these people were working business-clad men and women. Most of them white, with cigarettes in between their fingers. It was a bit surprising but shouldn't have been.
Before Eric left for the day, he gave me his phone number and said I would be the coolest kid in high school because I would have all the coolest new music before everyone. In my mind, I was thinking, "Yeah, right." I need to text him very soon.
I said bye to everyone before leaving to wait for my dad out front. I said bye to Brett who was the college student that sat to the left of me. I never really talked to him that much. I said bye to Patrick who is a paralegal. I had a small crush on him too. He gave me a high five. I said bye to the guy that sat next to him who was in law school.
I went to the elevators and pressed 1 for the lobby. I went up the ramp and pushed the glass doors with golden handles for the last time. As I came out the door, this man with a neon yellow metro shirt yelled to me, asking for my plate of food. (I forgot to mention that I was holding my leftover taco. I also had a notepad in my hands. I stole two more notepads which were stuffed in my bag.) I started smiling, saying that I was saving it for someone. He acted pretty annoyed. In a span of about 15 minutes, the group of men in neon yellow disappeared into a hole in the sidewalk. I watched people pass by as I waited for my dad to come.
My dad picked me up on the corner of Connecticut Avenue and 18th Street. And that was the end of my internship.









No comments:
Post a Comment