So last year or two, I had this turning moment in my personal being when my family and I went on "vacation" to Connecticut for a convention. After the convention, we went down to Pennsylvania to visit my dad's friend who had a stroke and was in a brain dead or coma state. We visited the man two years ago but this time, we visited the man's family. When we were there, I didn't know it was the family of this same man. I met his daughters and his wife. And they were very nice people. I saw their photo album and saw pictures of their dad. But at the time, I thought he was just at work or something. Even though it was Sunday.
But I finally put two and two together but I can't remember how. I think I asked my parents or something. I can't remember but I'm sure it's on the blog. So we went to visit the man and I don't know what came over me. I just felt really emotional. This man was a living and breathing human being. He could stand and talk and laugh. He was the head of his family. And now he was lying on this hospital bed in some rehab center away from his family, drool dripping from his lips, blankness in his eyes that were drifting apart... It must have been devastating for his daughters. It could've been MY dad. I cried.
And after that day, things began to change. More specifically, my faith in God. I won't go into that.
So a few days before we went on vacation this year, my dad told us he finally died. And I'm not sure if I was feeling sadness or relief. Sadness because of what his family must be going through. But relief because at least his daughters don't have to have that image of their father. And who knows how it feels to be in that state? What if he was suffering? How would we or they have known? It's too sad to talk about so let me stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment