Friday, January 17, 2014
Affirmative Action.
I got into the University of Virginia. *sigh* Sometimes, you have to keep your happiness to yourself because once I got my decision, I went straight to CollegeConfidential to see the people I was up against.
There was only ONE person that had a lower SAT score than me that was accepted and the person had an 1800. There were people who were deferred with freakin' 4.5 GPAs and SAT scores of over 2300. And then there's little black girl me with my 1980, 3.93 GPA, and sucky extracurriculars and I somehow got into this school. I posted my Stats on CollegeConfidential like everyone else did but now I feel bad.
Was I chosen because I'm actually good enough for this school or because I'm a black female?
Were my essays really that good? Did my art supplement help? Is my internship at the university impressive? Because it sure wasn't my scores that impressed the school.
I'm hoping it's one of these factors that came into play and not affirmative action because that would kinda suck. I'm gonna just believe it was because I was actually really happy when I got the decision. I was so prepared to get a decline. I was so prepared to cry.
I didn't even read the entire letter in the UVA portal. I just saw "Congratulations" and I rushed up to my dad's room and told him. I was so surprised. Last year, I was putting myself into a slight depression for feeling so inadequate compared to all the other Science and Tech kids. But somehow, there are people who see me better than how I see myself and that's just great to know.
Well, I definitely celebrated... With some extra snacks in the night. So I'm not going to do write my food diary today. Tomorrow, I'm going to definitely get on the food kick and eat well. I'm going to try to make vegetable soup and see how it turns out.
I've never actually been to this school so I don't know how I'll like it. But it has a good name and I heard it was beautiful so I think I would like to go (if they give me enough money). This is the first decision from the top schools and it's all just gonna start pouring in from now on.
I'm glad my first notification was a good one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment