Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Night Is Obviously A Great Time To Start A Weekend's Worth of Homework. Obviously.

I had so much planned today.

I was going to:
  • Make some carrot pulp muffins. Pulp muffins are actually pretty swell.
  • Start my Chapter 2, which is due tomorrow.
  • Start and finish a scholarship essay. I'm pretty sure a few are due tomorrow.
  • Do my Organic Chemistry project... Which was due Friday.
  • Study for my Wuthering Heights test tomorrow.
And it's 8:30 or so on a Sunday night and I have nothing done. 

Ha. It's gonna be another hour or two before I start anything. 

Well, I took the ACTs yesterday and it wasn't the best experience. I'm sure I didn't get anything above a 30 because of how many questions I had to guess on. But I know I bossed the Reading and Writing sections. I think I did pretty well on the Math section. If it was the SATs, with their curving and everything, I feel like I would've had an 800 or close to it. But I missed about five questions because I had NO idea how to do it. And that could be hurtful. And then the Science section was just sad. I missed about 6 questions. I didn't have time to get to the last passage and I had already skipped a few questions prior. My essay was meh.

The time they give us for the Reading and Science sections are totally unacceptable. More so for Science. I was able to manage my time for the Reading section because I realized that I didn't have to actually read the entire passage to answer the questions. So I jumped straight to the questions and it was probably the best idea I've ever had in my senior year life. I tried to use this little trick for Science and I think it bought me a few minutes but not enough. It's not like there was much to read. But there was much to comprehend. And there were SO many sections. 

The ACT people are darn evil. So I wanted to make a little pro and con chart of SATs and ACTs. For anyone who wants to know. But since no one reads my blog, this is basically for myself. Maybe I'll be mentoring a senior in the years to come and maybe they'll want my opinion on the SATs and ACTs and I can come back here.

Pros of the SAT:
  • Those curves.
  • You get your results faster.
  • There's a reasonable amount of time given for the Critical Reading and Writing sections.
  • The proctors are allowed to put the times on the board.
Cons of the SAT:
  • The test is all about using tricks and thinking critically. Stuff they don't teach us in high school.
  • The math section is just a whole bunch of trickiness. You need time to think about your answers (after the first 6 or so questions) which they don't give you the time for.
  • You're penalized for getting an answer wrong.
  • You have to memorize a bunch of nonsensical vocabulary for the Critical Reading section.
  • You have to pay $50 for taking the test.
  • There are SO many bubbles to bubble in during the beginning where you have to fill in your name and test booklet number and all such things. At least more so than on the ACT.
Pros of the ACT:
  • No need to memorize a bunch of nonsensical vocabulary.
  • No tricks or critical thinking. You are tested on what you actually learned in high school.
  • Less bubbles during the identity part.
  • You don't need to write in cursive for the part where you pledge to not reveal answers or whatever. It's not a big problem for me because I know how to write in cursive but I write way slower in cursive.
  • The questions are easier overall.
  • YOU'RE NOT PENALIZED FOR WRONG ANSWERS!
Cons of the ACT:
  • Apparently, the proctors weren't allowed to put the times on the board...? They were just like, "You have 35 minutes to finish this section." But no, "You should be finished by 12:27" or some shiz like that. I thought my life was over. But luckily, I brought my WATCH.
  • As I said before. The time restraints were completely unreasonable. 
  • No curves. 
  • A damn long time to get our results back. Apparently, the predicted times are between December 30 and February 5th or some time in February. I thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard.
I want to put this as a pro but I don't wanna mislead anyone wanting to take the ACT, but there was this damn sexy guy that was there about to take the test. He wasn't in my room, sadly. He was actually going through a bit of a hell trying to find his classroom. But he was white, wore Tumblr-esque clothes (beanie, plaid flannel, skinny jeans, and some sort of slip-on shoes), and had the cutest light-colored hair sticking out of his beanie.

And I'll never see him again ever. 

-_-

No comments:

Post a Comment