Friday, September 6, 2013

Don't Make A Sound. It Throws Me Off.

Seasick by The Silversun Pickups is such a beautiful song. I'm sure I've said this about another song but the best way to describe the song is hypnotic and a bit nostalgic, at least for me. There are just certain parts of the song that make you wanna close your eyes and sway and almost cry. I think I've heard the song awhile back but I didn't appreciate its beauty until recently.

I watched a Silversun Pickups interview where Brian, the lead singer, was talking about how their songs usually take more than one listen before one can appreciate it. And they like it that way and if I remember, they strive to make it that way. And it's so true. It's probably why I'm so obsessed with them now. I keep "discovering" new music to listen. And by discovering, I mean, finding a new appreciation and love for the beauty of their music despite not getting into it before.

It's just great.

So, it was another day in the life of me, the intern. I had two tests today: in AP Bio and in Orgo. Both were easy. Maybe too easy. Actually yeah, I screwed up three problems in Orgo just because I forgot to memorize what a tert-butyl and a sec-butyl looks like. Shame on me.

I got my Stat test back and totally screwed that up as well. I finished that test thinking I got like a 125% only to see that I got an 82% because I made stupid mistakes. Ugh. I hate stupid mistakes with a passion. I would have had at least a 90 if I had just checked my work and added a few more sentences to this other problem. Luckily, people around me didn't seem to do so great either for whatever reason. In fact, three people around me got 70-somethings which makes no sense to me. The girl next to me an 81 instead of like, a 91, because she forgot to write her signature on the paper.

So yeah, I think a lot of us just made stupid mistakes because this test was actually hella easy.

I came out of the Orgo test thinking it was hella easy as well. In fact, I finished extra early and checked my answers like three times over. But I mean, it was relatively easy. It really wasn't that bad. I found it funny that I was hearing people saying they "totally failed" once the test was over and we had to turn it in. I don't wanna call people stupid but come on. I'm not a genius and I think this shiz is pretty straight-forward.

Never mind that. Of course, after fourth period, I headed to the bus stop to catch the shuttle to get to my internship. I didn't go straight there. I actually went to the vending machine to see if I could get myself something. But there was a long line since the only machine opened is the over-priced healthy vending machine. And I had actually planned on buying Wendy's but I was considering the time it would take to get there and come back. But the other girl who was interning at the same place found out that the bus wasn't even getting there for 29 minutes, meaning it was gonna be REALLY late.

Of course, being smart people, we planned for the possibility of me missing the stop and she said that I could catch it in another stop that was around the area if I happened to miss it. I had no idea where that said place was. But you know, God is obviously on my side because let me break down what had happened.

The death of me.
I walked a few speeds faster than I usually did to get to Wendy's. I didn't realize how long it actually took to get there. I spent a lot of time waiting for the crosswalk light to change. And then I walked an extra five minutes just to get to the restaurant. And once I got there, there was a LONG line. And when I finally got to pay, the girl (who I'll call my colleague from now on) texted me saying that I can catch the bus at so-and-so in 20 minutes. Basically, I missed the bus. And I proceeded to wait an extra long time for my food. The guy behind me got his food before I did and I only ordered one thing! In the meantime, I looked at my phone to see how long the bus would take to get to the bus stop I did know about that was right across the street.

It was 10 minutes. That was when I was still waiting for my food. It felt like hours before I got my grilled chicken flatbread and then I rushed out of the Wendy's and hurried up to catch the bus. Of course, I had to wait a thousand years for the cross walk light to change. I didn't even wait for it to change. I waited for the traffic to slow and I bolted. Once I got to the stop, I checked the time and the bus wouldn't be there for three minutes.

I ended up catching the bus and my colleague was in there, sitting in the same spot she sat when we rode the bus together on Wednesday. I was more than relieved because the next bus didn't come for 70 minutes and how the heck was I supposed explain why I came to my internship more than an hour late. So basically, Wendy's is never happening again or at least, not for a long time.

That means I'm gonna have to start packing lunch. This weekend, I should search up recipes for like chicken wraps and stuff and then, get my mom to buy the stuff for me. And I'll cut up apples to eat to go along with my wraps and have a cute little juice box or water bottle to go with it. I'll be like those white kids who bring lunch boxes with all the cute-sy mom-made foods.

It means more shiz to carry... Ugh. I already have to carry a full backpack. Today, I carried my laptop to school because I wanted to study at the college library and maybe start some essays. It happened to be fail because apparently, I needed a university id and password to use their wireless connection. I swear, the university is a big ho with it's overpriced room and board and passwords and shuttle IDs and chiz. So I tried to do homework except all my homework required a book except for my AP Lit work because I actually had the book. And I could only answer two questions.

I ended up moping around for an hour and then I packed up, went outside to sit because there was absolutely no Wi-Fi in the library. There was like a skateboard club meeting on the steps and I kind of wanted to go up to them and see what was up. But the group was made up of all boys, all in college, and all had skateboards. I was and had none of these and I didn't want to seem like a complete idiot. I quickly searched up a shuttle bus that would drop me off around my house, only to find out it was leaving at 5:15 and it was 5:11. I tried to hurry up and get to the Student Union where the bus would arrive and I almost got there on time. In fact, I was a few feet away from the bus before it drove off.

I could have actually just rushed up a little bit and I would've caught it. But I didn't wanna seem like a complete loser and I also wasn't even sure if I was gonna be able to ride the bus, seeing as how I didn't even have a university ID.

I simply waited 30 minutes for the next shuttle. I sat at a bench and people watched. There are a LOT of Asians at this university. Like, a LOT. I mean, I kind of knew that because I lived right across from the university but I didn't know the extent. And I swear it hasn't always been like that. I decided to check CollegeBoard for the ethnicity make up of the school. And basically, Asians are the second largest ethnic group at the university with Whites being the first. Blacks are the third. And apparently, the school is like the 10th most ethnically diverse university in the country or something.

If I was an outsider looking in, I would've never expected a place like Maryland to be ethnically diverse. I feel like outsiders would think of Maryland has a bit of a hick-state with all the crab-collecting and stuff. Depending on where you live, Maryland can be hick-y. But as with every place, we have middle-class and upper middle-class suburbs and we have cities and we're actually pretty ethnically diverse to some degree. Particularly where I live because we're so close to D.C. I think it's kind of cool and it's one of the reasons why I'd probably wanna go to this school if I didn't live so close to it.

Anyway, when the shuttle bus finally arrived, I happened to be the first one on the bus. The driver asked for my I.D. and I showed him my school idea, strategically covering up the high school part. I asked him if it was okay and he looked kind of closely at it. I'm not really sure what he was looking at. And he said it was and I jumped for joy on the inside. The shuttle left the campus and dropped us off at the apartments across from my neighborhood. I made sure to thank him just in case I get him as a bus driver again and he realizes that my ID is actually bull sh**. The driver actually dropped us off at the entrance of the apartment. Except I didn't live there and I had to awkwardly walk away from the entrance and head over in the direction I was supposed to go. I'm hoping the bus driver didn't think anything of it but he probably did... I don't know.

I'm gonna leave it here. I really need to study for the SAT. I wish the motivation would rain down on me! The goal is over a 2000 and I won't be getting it if I don't crack down on these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment