So I haven't posted in awhile. Well, four days is awhile to me since I've been pretty consistent these past few weeks. But, I guess it's half due to business and half due to just not having anything astounding to talk about.
I feel like I've been seeing SAT words everywhere. It's like God's giving me a short SAT quiz everywhere I go. It's pretty cool actually.
My tutor came to my house on Saturday and we did practice tests. I think I did about 4 math tests and one Reading test. I bombed the Reading test, getting about 5 or 6 questions wrong. I consecutively did better on the math tests and on the last one I did, I actually got everything correct. So that has motivated me to keep practicing. Which is ironic because that isn't what I'm doing right now, SAT practicing, even though I should be.
I have a little less than three weeks if even. Ugh. I cannot fail. I need to break 2000. Even more importantly, I need to break the 700s on each of my scores meaning that I actually have to break a 2100. The thing is, I can do it. Especially on the math part. None of the math is hard. And again, the problem is that I make stupid calculation mistakes. Instead of 15, I put a 19 by accident. Instead of multiplying by 3, I multiply by 6. Why do I do it so much!? I just don't understand.
So I wanted to use this post to theorize because it has been on my mind since Friday.
I was outside waiting for the university shuttle to pass by with my two cohorts. And I'm not sure how, but we started bringing up Science and Tech kids. Actually, now that I remember, I think we started talking about the kids in Science and Tech who skipped grades, some skipping one grade, some skipping even two grades. And things kind of just branched out and we started talking about the elite Science and Tech kids. Popular and uber-smart. Like the smartest of the smart.
My friend, the one who works the same area I do, shared the same quandaries that I had being a second-class Science and Tech kid. I honestly thought she was me because everything that spewed out of her mouth was everything that bothered and molested my mind.
Anyway, the other friend said that her friend had nicknamed these elite S&T kids, the Tie-Dyes. It fits perfectly because they all seem to wear tie-dye shirts about 50% of the school year. To be in the Tie-Dye club, you must be very smart. At least a 4.5 GPA smart. Or alternatively, play a musical instrument really well. But most times, the really good instrument player is also the 4.8 GPA student so... And if you don't meet this criter, they won't talk to you unless they have to. Not like you'd want to talk to them anyway (but actually, I secretly do).
These kids are the ones the teachers love, the ones that get the best internships, the ones that get the honorary awards...
My friend was just as bitter about not getting to be a committee head or even the committee she wanted because everything is a popularity contest. If you're not a friend of the "populars", you're no one.
And the truest and saddest thing she mentioned is how the Science & Tech "community" is very much like the real world. You're no one if you're not really smart or rich. You can't be kind of smart. No. That doesn't cut it. You're just thrown into the nobodies and the averages of the American society. You can get by if you're remotely funny and entertaining. And there's always those who get really lucky. But, that's it.
*sigh*
Well, I heard a few juicy things on that Friday too. Like the person who snitched and who ACTUALLY snitched about that whole Starbucks scandal. My friend said that it sucks that they didn't receive any punishment for skipping school and kind of breaking the law except for in-school suspension. At least their committee head positions in NHS should have been taken away. I think that would've been a reasonable punishment (instead of getting their internships taken away or getting totally kicked out of NHS) since NHS is about integrity and what-not.
I also heard that this one kid that I went to school with in elementary school is a big cheater. We used to be on a team together when we did a black history competition together. And I thought he was pretty cool even though most people in my grade hated him. And apparently, people still somewhat dislike him but he's still a part of the elites. But he cheats on tests and stuff and everyone knows it and it was the reason why he wasn't allowed to be in NHS. My friend said that she even saw him using his phone on a test right next to him and I thought that was the craziest thing ever.
So yeah... That's it. I'm going to use the rest of my time to study the SATs! 2100! 2100! 2100!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment