I've been blessed. I've been so blessed.
It started when the lawyer who worked at the law firm I interned at called me this morning. I actually lost all hope in getting a recommendation letter from him. But finally, he got in contact with me. I was in my SAT prep class so I was a bit awkward. But basically, he didn't remember me that well but said he was willing to help. But I have to write the letter and he said he would "check to see if he agrees with it" meaning that he'll just put his name on it and send it. That's totally cool with me. I thanked him and that was the end of that.
THEN, there's this thing called QuestBridge that I had been getting mail and e-mail about for the past three months now but didn't take notice of it until about a few weeks ago. It's this program that allows low-income families to apply to top private institutions for free and if they accept you, you get to go to the college with free tuition or at least a good financial package. It was September 10 when I finally decided to check it out and apply, I started filling things out but then I realized that you had to get two recommendation letter as well as a transcript from the counselor and I just decided to forget about it because there was no point.
I went back on it WEEKS later. September 23rd, I'll say. And I decided to look at the application again and realized that there was absolutely no way I could get everything in and it was all useless and I was useless for not getting this done or at least trying to get those recommendation letters on time. So I forced myself to think good thoughts like: I wouldn't have gotten in anyway. I'm not even from a low-income family. Who needs Harvard? But I entered my teachers and my counselor in to request the letters and transcript, knowing in the back of my mind that it would be impossible to get them.
On September 26th, I had a change of heart. I got another e-mail from QuestBridge and I was just like, EFF IT. I'm gonna do it! I spent last night filling out everything except for the essay. And today, I got a recommendation letter from both of my teachers and MIRACULOUSLY, I got a transcript from my counselor. It had to be God. I finished the biographical essay and now I just have to do the mini essay and I'll be done with the application before midnight. And since QuestBridge is in PST, I have until 3 am to turn it in.
Like I said. I AM BLESSED.
I stayed a bit later at the university to work on my essay so I ended up taking the 6:45 bus instead of the 6:15 bus like I usually do. While I was walking home, I saw another guy walking on the opposite side of the street but thought nothing of him until I got to the crosswalk light. I was going to cross the street to get to my neighborhood and I saw him enter the neighborhood as well but he was walking really slow. I finally crossed the street and saw that he was just standing on the sidewalk I crossed the street again and that's when he crossed and came up to me. That's when I got scared. He looked East African, like from Eritrea or Ethiopia or something. He also had an accent. He wasn't bad looking at all and if he hadn't come up to me like that, I would've even said he was cute. He also looked like an actual college student.
He asked me if I knew the price of this hotel that was behind us and I said, "No. I'm sorry." I was about to turn when he asked me if I wanted to go find out and spend some time with him. Now, I can't tell if he just liked me or if he thought I was a prostitute. I was wearing skinny jeans, a tank top, with a hoodie on top. I don't know. I was like, "No. I don't. Sorry." And I walked away and I heard him say, "It's okay." He didn't follow me home but I was weirded out. And I don't even wanna think about what was probably going on in his head.
It's funny because I had been purposely going the long way home to avoid the creepy guy at the barber shop who tries to talk to me. And now I have to worry about this other guy. Or I guess I just shouldn't be outside of the house after 6:45 pm. Ugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment