Thursday, July 25, 2013

My Thoughts On... Georgetown University.


Before going to Georgetown on Wednesday, my dad told me he didn't like the area around Georgetown.

Okay, so I could kind of see why. Some of the areas made me seem like I was in Langley Park in Maryland. Worn down apartments and small parking lots. Basically, it looked like the ghetto, except it was filled with white people. The townhouses looked just like the ones you see when you first come in to D.C. Those ones with high steps where you imagine black mothers braid their black daughters' hair on the porch. I'm not trying to be racist but that's how the townhouses looked.

But I actually liked how the campus looked. The buildings were spectacular. I loved the Gothic-style of it. Going into the buildings seemed like going into an ornate temple or something. Our tour guide said the library in Beauty and the Beast was modeled from the library at Georgetown.

So I guess I'll start with how the day began...

I woke up late in the morning. I woke up at 7:45 am instead of 7 am. I was supposed to meet my friend at the metro station at 8:30 am (even though the tour started at 12:30 pm). So I was rushing.

I took a shower, quickly shaved up (because I was planning on wearing shorts), and had to print out the directions to get there. The printer chose a good day to be extra slow... And when I got to the bus stop, I realized I left most of my money at home. I don't think I got to the metro station until 9:40 am. God did this on purpose... having me wake up earlier and start heading to Georgetown earlier than we needed to.

My friend and I got a little lost a few times but we somehow ended up getting there an hour early. We went to the Undergraduate Admissions office aka White-Gravenor Hall and had to sign these sheets. The hall was absolutely majestic.


Since we were an hour early, I got my friend to venture into some random building. We bought a slightly overpriced cinnamon bun from a vending machine and split it. Then, we headed to the Undergraduate Admissions office for the information session.

My friend is JUST like me, I swear. We kept looking for cute boys in the room. We saw this one kid sitting on the other side of the room. Okay, so we were in the dark and he looked cute from where we were sitting... until the woman presenting turned on the lights. It was disappointing.

There were a few cute guys in the room but they weren't spectacular or anything. Just okay and they seemed WAY too interested in the campus tour. Ha. Never mind. Let them be their educated selves.

Anyway, we were the only black girls in that room for a good part of the information session until one black girl walked in a bit late. (I'm glad I wasn't that girl. My friend and I were trying not to fit the stereotype, you know.) My friend and I were commenting about how no one seemed to wanna sit near us... because we're black. However, a white mother and her daughter came in and sat next to us. But only probably because there were not much other seats left by that point. Anyway, my friend pointed out how she was super white with her sweater tied around her neck and her glasses placed in her hair like a headband and her khaki skirt, probablyfrom J.Crew or something.

My friend was a bad influence though. I couldn't focus on learning about the school much. I was falling asleep during the information session and I couldn't pay attention during the campus tour. All I found out was that Georgetown was REALLY hard to get into and a lot of presidents have been at Georgetown.

I also knew my favorite bald guy went there. (But I knew this before I got on campus.)


When I was there, I was thinking "Nah... I don't think I wanna go here." But it was probably only because my friend was making me think that. But now, I think I kinda like it. It was charming in it's own way. The buildings were amazing. And they have a good pre-med program.

Also, I thought the tour guide was kinda cute but my friend was complaining about how slow he was in speaking about everything while the other tour guide was fast. I didn't actually mind and I thought he was faster than other tour guides I've had. But he kept giving us a lot of fun facts about the place and that was cool and all. I like fun facts. But I wish I had more information about the school itself.

The worst thing about the tour was the fact that we didn't get to see a dorm room and we didn't get to see a classroom. To me, that's the most important thing to see!

The tour guide mentioned a free shuttle that went to DuPont Circle so I asked him about it and he gave us directions on how to get there. (He was so sweet about it. I was swooning.) But the bum didn't realize we were trying to get off at DuPont Circle Metro Station so we ended up getting kicked off at the last stop. We ate at Starbucks and I found a metro bus stop that would take us to where we needed to go. It was pretty funny.

And that was the end of it.

So would I want to go to school here? Maybe. It's near Washington D.C. and you know, opportunities. Same reasons that I have for going to George Washington. But I liked how the campus was more traditional looking unlike how George Washington was. But the admissions process seems overly complicated and it seems like the students who'd go here would be very... I don't know. Maybe a bit snobby? Smart people that I don't seem to ever be friends with. I wish they had shown us a dorm room and a classroom and I kind of wish I was with one of my more college-orientated friends. Maybe my views would be less on-the-fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment