Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Thoughts On... The University of Maryland.

So today, or technically yesterday... Wednesday... I went to the University of Maryland with my friend and her father.


A few small but unfortunate events happened.

First, it rained. It rained horribly. And it annoyed me so much because it's been happening ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME. I decide to look cute, go out with my friends, and then it rains.

Luckily, the rain basically stopped once I got outside (thank God because my umbrella happened to be total mess) but that didn't stop the humidity and driplets from puffy-ing my hair.

My mom helped gather my hair into a ponytail and then stuck a huge puff on top of it. It was pretty cute. I thought it made me look ethnic. (Okay, I know I'm already African but that's the best way I can describe it.) Like in an Africa meets urban kind of way. We held it down with some Pink Oil but our efforts were destroyed with the humidity.

I wanted to dress up a bit so I wore this new light-washed jean jacket, a gray and black striped shirt, jeans, and these new DC shoes that I got. The jean jacket wasn't as nicely fit as I wanted it to be even though I got it in a small. It was the shoulder part that was kind of bulky. It's always the shoulder part. Curse my petite body.

Anyway, there happened to be a few cute boys there. But OF COURSE, when they split up the rooms into tour groups, EVERY SINGLE CUTE BOY went to the other group while... everyone else... was in our group. I just couldn't comprehend it. It was like God deliberately did this to me. I was annoyed.

Even the semi-cute guys that were on my side of the room, THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE IN MY GROUP, somehow managed to squeeze their way into the other group. So it was one small group (where my friend, her father, and I were) and then the other group which happened to be unneccesarily large and contained all the attractive boys in it.

But I did have a good time. My friend's dad is funny. And I learned quite a bit about the school. A lot more than I learned last time even though they said practically the same stuff. I actually paid attention this time. And I came to realize that the school is actually really nice. And if I was living anywhere other than the EXACT. SAME. CITY. I would probably really like the place. Yep, I pretty much gave away where I lived.

I mean, first, it's a nice campus. Second, it's right next to Washington D.C. A nice city. Not as busy as New York City. But just as culturally diverse and just as fun. The area is pretty nice too with the very modern apartments and eateries. And the class sizes are perfect.

It's a dream for any student who wants to go to a school that's good in academic rankings but still packs adventure and fun. Any student who isn't from the area. Any student who isn't like me and lives about 5 minutes away, driving, or 15 minutes, walking.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind going to this school at all. But I'd rather go out and become one with a place I've never experienced before. I'd rather go to school in Baltimore and experience life there. I'd rather explore the cities of North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Or Massachusetts or Michigan. And should I even say it, New York?

Applications for Maryland are only four months away. I can't believe how stressful this summer has become. Okay, I haven't even done anything but thinking about all the things you haven't done is just as stressful.

When does the torture end?

Oh by the way, I believe in the touch of the Testudo Turtle.


I rubbed his nose last summer and I'm pretty sure it's 50% of the reason why I got decent final grades junior year. And sure as heck, I made it a point to rub it again this year. I mean 100% was of course, God but you know... His grace was in the nose of the turtle, I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment