Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Come on, Let's Skip!" "But I Can't!" "BUT COME ON!" "Stop Bullying Me!"

So yeah, the anti-bullying thing.


The first thing that happened was that all the freshmen were put into the gym. And since my U.S. History teacher wanted to freakin' lag in the classroom, we got there a bit late and all the good seats in the tippy-top were gone. So I had to sit in the front. I mostly sat there because I had a friend sitting there. But the seats in the front don't have anywhere to rest your back. So after awhile my back began to hurt and I had to my legs into awkward positions so that I could stretch it out a bit. And my butt began to go numb.

So they showed us a video and the seniors did a little presentation on the different kinds of bullying. But all that is unimportant. I know that EVERYBODY knows that you shouldn't pick on people because you're hurting them and you'll make them commit suicide or go shoot up the whole school or something. So after awhile, all the girls were rounded up and put into the cafeteria where the security lady talked to us. That woman can speak though.

She was really real with us. I would tell you about everything but I'm just gonna tell you something significant. So three years ago, at my school, this boy was stabbed walking to school. It's one of those things that you hear in middle school and are like, "OMG I'M SO SCARED OF GOING TO ----- HIGH SCHOOL BECAUSE THIS DUDE GOT STABBED OVER THERE!" And then every irrupts into discussions about gangs and drugs at the high school and all the myths. But once you get to that high school, you totally forget how scared you were and you just get used to everything.

But when the lady brought it up, it dawned on me that the dude that got stabbed could have been one of the kids that I see around at school RIGHT NOW. The security lady showed the picture of him on the projector. The truth is, I couldn't see his face that well since it was dark and I'm practically blind. But it was still sad.

The kid was walking home from school and then a dude in a van came out of the car and asked what his gang sign is. The kid put up his gang sign and the dude from the van stabbed him since they were from rival gangs. And then the dude got back in the van and drove away. The security lady heard from another kid that someone was stabbed right on top of the hill. The security lady didn't really believe it since kids say that slang kinda stuff all the time whenever there's a fight but she got up to crime scene and saw a lady trying to revive the kid and the lady had blood all on her hands.

The security lady described what she saw. His eyes were rolled to the back of his head and there was blood everywhere. It was so sad. And she had to witness that. The saddest thing is having to report that back to the parents. Like, "Your child was just stabbed and killed while walking home from school." What if that was my brother or sister on that screen?!

There were girls tearing up in that room. In fact, one girl bursted out crying. It was one of those Spanish girls with the piercings and the dyed hair. She looked like one of those girls that hang with the gangs. I heard the crying but I didn't know it was her until one of my other friends told me.

But yeah... Bullying is serious. It makes me want to be a better person. But my friends prevented me from doing that by making me skip. Seriously, I was battling them for a full 10 minutes trying to not make me go skip. But I failed.

After the security lady talked, this famous local radio station DJ came and talked to us. He's the host of some show on BET. And he was talking about how he was bullied when he was younger. But you wouldn't believe it now since he looks so smooth and good-looking and successful. That just shows you that the kids who are being tormented because of their talents are just gonna climb to the top when it comes the time. And those bullies would be living the rest of their lives thinking about how stupid they were.

Oh and Rebecca Black.

So you know how everyone hates on her, right? Well, when I first saw  her Friday music video, I seriously thought it was some parody or some joke. But then I realized it wasn't. And me, trying to be witty and stuff wrote a mean comment about it like, "Are you serious, this has to be a joke. Right?" It was more witty than that. It was something mean, definitely. But seriously, I thought the song was utterly stupid. The girl was talking about getting up for school and getting into the car with her friends and eating cereal when she clearly wasn't. Then out of nowhere she's wearing all this nice stuff, about to go to a party. When I was her age (which was last year) my friends didn't drive cars and we didn't go to parties like that.

But then it dawned on me that this girl is only 13. It's stupid for me and everyone else to leave negative comments about a girl who is still very young. Do you know what this negativity can do to a teen girl? And she's getting death threats. All unnecessary. Okay, so she sang a dumb song. SO WHAT? These artists these days sing stupid, meaningless songs all the time. And yeah, Rebecca Black's song was very ill written, beyond ill-written. But you have to admit, it's very catchy. And it makes me excited about Friday. I like the song.

I guess it's just me being defiant. But I'm gonna stand up for Rebecca Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment